Linguistics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional linguists and others with an interest in linguistic research and theory. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As you know some single words may be written in various forms, nosy and nosey or Noruz may be written Norooz, Narooz, Nawru, Nauruz, Nawroz, Noruz, Nohrooz, Novruz, Nauroz, Navroz.

In Persian dokme/tokme , zoqal/z̤oqal, belit/beliṭ ,...

In Linguistics we say: Noruoz is ????? of Noruz.

Such words have same pronunciation or a very similar pronunciation. They have same origin but when are enter to another language they are written differently.

A lot of such words can be found in this forum thread: Multiple Spellings of the Same Word.

Please suggest a single word for indicated area, e.g. Polygraph

enter image description here (Source)

share|improve this question
alternate spellings. – jlovegren Nov 15 '12 at 17:50
@jlovegren I suggested that too elsewhere, but the OP said he wanted a single term (which I doubt exists). – Alenanno Nov 15 '12 at 20:12
how about allographs? – jlovegren Nov 15 '12 at 21:21
As I said once before: They're just variant transliterations. Remember the fuss about what the real spelling of Gaddafi's name was? It's spelled in Arabic, so it doesn't have a proper spelling in Latin-alphabet languages, and each has their own way of dealing with Arabic. Plus styles change. There is no special monomorphemic term for such a transcriptional mess. – jlawler Nov 15 '12 at 21:28
Alternate transliteration is the closest to describing that situation. – jlawler Nov 15 '12 at 21:38
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The term I've heard most often in linguistic contexts is variant, or more fully variant spelling.

So, for example:

  • Nosey is a common variant of nosy.

  • Favorite and favourite are variants, accepted in American and British English respectively.

  • Colonel Gaddafi's surname has any number of variant spellings when written in the Roman alphabet.

A Google Books search brings up plenty of examples of this in academic writing and in textbooks, so I think it would be generally understood if you used it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.