I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- Complete Publications and Lectures.
- My alt.usage.english English Grammar pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks.
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two scanned coursepacks from my Intro Ling class. (each ~100 pp)
- Scanned teaching materials from my Etymology class
22 What's the difference between syntax and grammar? Apr 3 '13
16 Relationship between Turkish/Azeri and Japanese/Korean Feb 17 '13
14 What is this feature of British English called? Feb 16 '13
12 What languages lack personal pronouns, and why? Feb 14 '12
11 Why in English words is [o] followed by [ʊ]? Dec 1 '11
11 Is there a language whose writing is 100% phonemic? May 19 '12
11 Are Written and Spoken English distinct languages? Sep 24 '12
10 Is there a language with but one vowel sound? Jun 29 '12