What topics can I ask about here?
The Linguistics Stack Exchange Site is a Q&A for linguists, language enthusiasts and people who have some interest in how languages work. What is Linguistics? It is the scientific study of languages.
If you have a question about...
- any natural language from a linguistics point of view
- Linguistics phenomena during history
- the Linguistics subcategories
- currents, theories, and their applications in actual languages
- a single word in relation to multiple languages or a single word/single language
- papers/articles on a given topic
- Sign Languages and writing systems
- fictional/constructed/planned languages
- and more!
... and it is not about...
- Advice or help on learning a foreign language
- Translation requests
- "Please make me a syntax tree" — Don't ask us to solve your homework problems for you, but it's OK to ask questions that would require drawing of syntax trees to gain a better understanding of the subject, so that you can learn to solve the homework problem on your own
- Identification of a language or a script based on specific samples and/or its translation — Questions about the scholarly aspects of translation and language identification are still welcome.
- anything not related to/treated by Linguistics
... then you're in the right place!
If you have questions about grammar, usage, etc., this might not be your place; in case you're sure, or if we confirm that your question would better be asked in another site, consider visiting the Language related StackExchange sites (Search "Language" in the search bar). Also, make sure your question is reasonably scoped, it shows research effort on your part and is not a "do this for me" question.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Linguistics Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"