Is there a name for the phrases "city of", "university of", "county of", etc?

As in, City of New York, University of Florida, County of Cork.


That is a kind of apposition, it is called appositive oblique.

  • Thanks! In "The John Smith Company" are "John Smith" and "Company" also appositions?
    – fgregg
    Mar 23 '15 at 16:43
  • @fgregg - definitely yes.
    – Yellow Sky
    Mar 23 '15 at 17:10

This site is temporarily in read only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .