In biology humans belong to the kingdom of animalia and the phylum chordata. Every organism that belongs to chordata belongs also to animalia but not the other way around. Animalia is a hypernym of chordata.

However it doesn't feel like kingdom is a hypernym of phylum. Is there a word for the relationship between the concepts?

  • Do you want to say "Bigger structural unit" in one long word?
    – J-mster
    Oct 8, 2015 at 15:01
  • @J-mster : I'm not sure whether there's a common term for it. If bigger structural unit is commonly used it's okay.
    – Christian
    Oct 8, 2015 at 15:04
  • Do you mean something like a 'subset' and 'superset'?
    – curiousdannii
    Oct 8, 2015 at 15:05
  • @curiousdannii : I don't think the word kingdom is a superset of phylum the way I understand the word "superset".
    – Christian
    Oct 8, 2015 at 15:07

1 Answer 1


"Kingdom" a higher taxonomic level, higher than "phylum". You can probably say "superlevel", if you desperately need it in one word, but I would rather say "higher level in the hierarchy/taxonomy/classification".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.