In biology humans belong to the kingdom of animalia and the phylum chordata. Every organism that belongs to chordata belongs also to animalia but not the other way around. Animalia is a hypernym of chordata.

However it doesn't feel like kingdom is a hypernym of phylum. Is there a word for the relationship between the concepts?

  • Do you want to say "Bigger structural unit" in one long word? – J-mster Oct 8 '15 at 15:01
  • @J-mster : I'm not sure whether there's a common term for it. If bigger structural unit is commonly used it's okay. – Christian Oct 8 '15 at 15:04
  • Do you mean something like a 'subset' and 'superset'? – curiousdannii Oct 8 '15 at 15:05
  • @curiousdannii : I don't think the word kingdom is a superset of phylum the way I understand the word "superset". – Christian Oct 8 '15 at 15:07

"Kingdom" a higher taxonomic level, higher than "phylum". You can probably say "superlevel", if you desperately need it in one word, but I would rather say "higher level in the hierarchy/taxonomy/classification".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.