Certain words seem to come from gluing or aggregating other extant words; what is the technical name given for phenomenon?

For example:

In Sanskrit: pratyaksanamanagamah; where pratyaksa is percept, anumana is inference, and agamah is testimony

In English: Being-in-the-World, where the words are hyphenated

In German: SchifffartskanalaufsichtsbevollmachtIfer; where schifft is ship, fahrt sailing, Kanal is canal, aufsicht is supervising, and bevollmachtiger is supervise.

1 Answer 1


This is known as compounding.

I might add that compounds are not usually made up of full-inflected words with case and number, they are generally based on the stems that get inflection. Hence pratyakṣa in that compound does not have a case marker, as self-standing words of Sanskrit do.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.