I presume that if your tongue tip is free while you're articulating a consonant, you can make a secondary narrowing with your tongue tip towards the alveolar ridge to produce a double-articulated sound.

  • Am I correct?
  • If yes, do we have, or has there been a notation to mark it in IPA or other (proposed) phonetic transcriptions?

1 Answer 1


[p˞abəbli], if we ever encountered such a thing, we would call it a sequence of consonant plus r. However, IPA does have the rhotic hook which could be pressed into service to notate such a thing, if one could argue that you had found a single consonant and not a sequence. Osama Fujimura's CD model does in fact have a richer set of consonants in English, including "rhotic labial" for <pr>. There are no good cases for such a sound.

  • Thanks for the answer. What I was taught was, if I remember correctly, the rhotic hook is only applicable to vowel. Isn't there such a restriction? Feb 28, 2016 at 17:09
  • 1
    That's not a definition restriction in the IPA, it's more a matter of observation that "rhoticity" only exists for vowels, unless you are speaking of ʈ, ɳ etc. which earn separate letters.
    – user6726
    Feb 28, 2016 at 17:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.