Basically I mean, for activities one consistently performs, is there a special name or category for those verbs?

Examples: He runs I play table tennis She surfs They study linguistics

See how each of these words describe something one often does, but not necessary what they're currently doing.

  • In English, the simple present form ("He runs.") is 'habitual'.
    – amI
    Aug 1 '16 at 21:05

It's not a property of the verb, in the sense "verb root", it's a property of the form ("tense"). You can construct huge numbers of parallel forms "I verb X" / "I am verbing X" with this same property -- insert sing, eat, carry, hammer, etc. Aiming for terminology that is consistent across languages, "I eat/sell/make cheese" exemplifies the habitual, and "I am eating/selling/making cheese" exemplifies the present progressive".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.