I think it would be best to illustrate by examples instead of by words:

  1. an + other → another → a + nother → a whole nother
  2. myn + Edward → my Ned
  3. les enfants /le.zɑ̃.fɑ̃/ (French) → les *zenfants → zenfant (Mauritian Creole)

1 Answer 1


It can be called ‘Rebracketing’; the linked page also suggests "juncture loss, junctural metanalysis, false splitting, false separation, faulty separation, misdivision, or refactorization."

Your question is closely related to this question, in case it’s useful.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.