What's the name for the elision of a consonant between two vowels? Syncope is usually used for vowel elision (resulting in consonant clusters) but what about consonant elision? I couldn't find any term for it.


Syncope is actually a particular kind of rhythmically-governed vowel elision. There is no general word that refers to intervocalic consonant deletion. The closest you can get is "lenition", which often results in deletion, but is not restricted to "intervocalic", and it has other outcomes (such as /k/ → [g]).

  • Well then what about 'deletion'? – Mitch Oct 18 '16 at 20:38
  • 1
    Likewise, "deletion" can refer to any kind of segment, in any context. – user6726 Oct 18 '16 at 21:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.