I'm curious if there is a decided term for the words that begin a new utterance. They often are written with a comma following them such as below: "Well, ..." "So, ..." but the class of these words isn't restricted to single words or a particular set and can be expanded to include other parts of speech also for example: "George, ..." is there a name for these forms?

  • 2
    There are several ways to refer to such words/phrases, one of them is discourse markers.
    – Alex B.
    Dec 21, 2016 at 20:01
  • @Alex B gives the right answer.
    – mobileink
    Dec 21, 2016 at 23:07

1 Answer 1


There is a category of words called transition words which contains your examples.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.