What is the name of the grammatical transformation that consists in creating a verb from a noun?

  • 4
    Is the term 'verbalisation'' what you're looking for?
    – BillJ
    Oct 21, 2017 at 6:39
  • 1
    Welcome to Linguistics.SE! This is a pretty valid question, but it seems to attract downvotes — probably due to the lack of own research prior to asking. Have you done any? If so, please add your results here, with sample words and so on. This would improve the quality of this question and encourage others to answer it. Oct 21, 2017 at 7:05

2 Answers 2


The term you're looking for is denominal verbalization.

  • 5
    and wouldn't this be a form of derivation?
    – amI
    Oct 21, 2017 at 18:29
  • 2
    Yes, any affix that changes POS is considered derivational morphology, even if the affix is Zero. Also called Verbing, at least to Calvin and Hobbes readers.
    – jlawler
    Oct 22, 2017 at 22:53

This is called derivational morphological process as well as verbalisation after attached and some affixes (bound morphemes). see Derivational affixes.

  • Welcome to Linguistics.SE! This post would benefit from citing relevant works and linking to credible resources. Don't just give a one-line answer, making others to search for mentioned terms. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.