I am attempting a problem with anaphora resolution. I need help with some terms in the Lappin and Leass' paper.
In the paper, it is mentioned
A pronoun P is non-coreferential with a (non-reflexive or non-reciprocal) noun phrase N if any of the following conditions hold
- P and N have incompatible agreement features.
- P is in the argument domain of N.
- P is in the adjunct domain of N.
- P is an argument of a head H, N is not a pronoun, and N is contained in H.
- P is in the NP domain of N.
- P is a determiner of a noun Q, and N is contained in Q.
As far I know,
Adjuncts are not necessary to give meaning to the sentence, they just add more information. i.e. omission of adjuncts doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.
Arguments are necessary. Their omission may cause a change in meaning os sentence. (They basically are complements right?)
So what does an argument domain and adjunct domain mean? And how do I classify them?
Is there another way to differentiate arguments and adjuncts? I need to teach it to a computer.
What does head mean?
Again what is domain of noun phrase?
Could someone please elaborate the 6th point.