It seems that some syntacticians sometimes use the word subregularity instead of irregularity. Is there any difference between these two terms or they cover same concept?

  • Another term that has been used sometimes seems to be "quasi-regularity" – brass tacks Dec 17 '17 at 17:32
  • What would you call the obvious but limited-scope pattern one finds in, for example, the class of zero-suffix monosyllabic dental-stop-final verbs that includes bet bid burst cast cost cut fit hit hurt let put quit rid set shed shit shut slit spit split spread thrust? Me, I'd call it a subregularity. There are dozens more in English verb classes alone. In one sense, it could be thought of as an irregularity (no suffixes, after all), but it's certainly governed by rule. Just not very widely applicable rules. – jlawler Dec 18 '17 at 3:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.