1) Does it change, even slightly, due weakening of the last consonant sound? 2) If it does what is this phenomenon called?

  • Do you mean, art→arθ? And is this specifically after r, or more general like "after vowels and r", etc?
    – user6726
    Dec 31, 2017 at 5:45
  • Yes to the first question, i am not sure to the second Dec 31, 2017 at 5:48

1 Answer 1


The general process is known a lenition, which unfortunately refers to very many different processes. The underlying idea is that θ is "weaker" than t (likewise f,x compared to p,k), and one of the environments where this happens is postvocalically (with or without a tautosyllabicity condition). However, the term also encompasses the changes t → d,h,ʔ,ɾ. Usually, such a lenition takes place right after a vowel or glide and not a consonant, so if "r" is included in the context, one may reasonable suspect that "r" is a vocoid ɹ as in English, and not a trill. The physical mechanism beneath the process is not clear, but seems to have to do with delaying the transition from a very open vocal tract to a closed one. If the process were triggered only by preceding r and not a vowel, that would be a typologically novel process.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.