What is it called when a word is dropped (or implied): "Have a beer or two" == "Have a beer or two beers"

Does this phenomenon have a name? Any pointers on where to learn more about it are appreciated.

1 Answer 1


This would be Noun ellipsis or N-ellipsis:

... a mechanism that elides, or appears to elide, part of a noun phrase that can be recovered from context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.