Are there a set of English verbs that require a prepositional phrase? For example:

"The set consists of A and B." = GOOD

"The set consists" = BAD

Is there a name for this type of verb? They seem to be different than 'transitive' which relies on a direct object. To clarify, I'm not asking about verb-particle (phrasal verb relations); I'm only interested in verb-PP.

  • Such verbs are intransitive. I’m not aware of any name for this type, the linguists just say the verb “subcategorises for a PP.”
    – Atamiri
    May 8 '18 at 10:58
  • Hmm. I thought an intransitive verb must be able to stand alone without a direct object, which this can not. May 8 '18 at 11:07
  • Maybe search in phrasal verbs; chip in, figure out, hand down/in
    – Joop Eggen
    May 8 '18 at 11:27
  • @JoopEggen I've already analyzed 6900 phrasal verbs. That's why my question explicitly states that I'm not asking about phrasal verbs. :) May 8 '18 at 11:38
  • 1
    @Atamiri I found these categories: homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0896251/XMG-basedXTAG/noweb/… I see your point. The verb class is labeled by transitivity, argument type and optional/mandated, for example, "Intransitive with PP: n0Vpn1". May 8 '18 at 11:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.