I'm working on an academic writing in English, but as a non-native speaker, I feel lacking of vocabulary.

When a word has its origin in the Chinese language, we use the term 'Sino-' such as Sino-Korean or Sino-Japanese. And I wonder if there is such a thing for English-originated? I'd like to refer to some loanwords from English but in accordance with the 'Sino-'.

Thank you in advance.


1 Answer 1



An Anglicism is a word or construction borrowed from English into another language.

Or, more prosaically (and more common), English loan.

OP asks for a counterpart to Sino-, which as @boiko points out, is Anglo-. But as a prefix in Sino-Korean and Sino-Japanese, Sino- has a connotation of hybridisation, or at least deeply enmeshed bilingualism (Sino-Korean = Chinese as spoken in Korea, Sinicised Korean). The counterpart to that with Anglo- is, if anything, Anglo-Norman: Norman French as spoken in England (and itself a source of loans into English).

Anglo-Korean would not work: it implies routine codeswitching and bilingualism. The connotation is much too strong for the present-day loans from English into Korean, which does not involve the same level of influence as Sino-Korean.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.