Let's say carrot for a shade of orange.

Suppose carrot is not used for the color and I wanted one to describe the vegetable's color. So, I revive the displaced more for the color. What do you call such revival?

1 Answer 1


Maybe there is a single term for this specific combination of operations, but this seems like multiple operations: learned borrowing + x, where x is the usual process by which x-coloured was substituted with x.

A word or other linguistic form borrowed from a classical language into a modern language.

See the Wiktionary category Learnedly borrowed terms by language.

A learned borrowing could be from any classical language, not necessarily from an earlier stage or nominal ancestor of the language in question.

But in some languages, especially those that undergo a revival or tend to use neologisms instead of loanwords for new concepts, like Icelandic, French, Armenian and Hebrew, it is common.

enter image description here

There is also a neologism neosemantism and its cognates, with very limited currency.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.