Fillers are used in many languages when the speaker signals that he or she is thinking but has not yet finished talking. Things in English like umm, er, uh etc.

Is there something that can be put in the interlinear gloss to convey this? Something like FILL, or a similar abbreviation?

  • What do spoken corpora do?
    – lapropriu
    Dec 4 '12 at 20:27
  • Most of the stuff I read that uses morphological glosses isn't interested in these channel-level details of conversations, so fillers aren't even transcribed. The kind of work that's usually interested in fillers, pauses, hesitations, corrections etc. is conversation analysis; and then there are entire systems of notation for how to transcribe conversations. Jul 10 '18 at 22:04

In a project that produced a corpus of (spoken) Nigerian English we used HES for hesitation. I've also come across HES in articles in linguistics journals, but not FILL.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.