Having trouble translating this word into English if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

closed as off-topic by bytebuster, curiousdannii, Mitch, Nardog, b a Jan 9 at 9:50

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking help with identification of or translation of specific samples of text are off-topic." – bytebuster, curiousdannii, Mitch, Nardog, b a
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • I suggest: authenticate – amegnunsen Jan 8 at 20:21

The word is authenticate. That transliteration isn't so good though, I would suggest /ɔˈθɛntɪkeɪt/.

  • Transliteration to IPA will depend a lot on the speaker's accent/dialect, and even if you want to suggest a 'standard' pronunciation to base your transliteration on, you will have to define which one to use, e.g. from North America, southern England, northern England/Scotland, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, India, … — the possibilities are almost endless. – dumetrulo Jan 16 at 8:53
  • @dumetrulo, sure, but I don't know anyone who'd pronounce the last syllable as /ket/. That looks like a short vowel to me. – Wilson Jan 16 at 9:23
  • Off the top of my head, Indian or Pakistani English comes to mind; I speak to enough people from these regions on a weekly basis to be quite sure about that. Granted, you would think a short vowel in an unstressed position should be pronounced /ə/ or similar, and if it's /e/ it should rather be a long vowel, but especially non-native speakers from regions with languages where vowel length is not a language feature might not make this difference. – dumetrulo Jan 16 at 9:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.