Does any language have a word for the situation when somebody frequently uses the pronoun "We" in "I" stead in his speach?

By analogy with the german pronoun du(thou) -> duzen (use the informal form of address/call someone by their first name) or with the russian pronoun "ты"(thou) -> тыкать (use the informal form...)

  • 1
    Not exactly the name for such situation, but a similar thing: In Korean, the first person plural possessive "우리 /u.ri/" replaces the first person singular possessive "나의 or 내 /na.e/ or /nɛ/" in informal speech.
    – Ignatius
    Commented Mar 5, 2019 at 12:23

1 Answer 1


In English this is commonly called the royal we, or nosism more formally.

  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_we
  2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosism

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.