I'm not a linguistics student, so my bad if this is actually very obvious/can be found online (I tried. Really.), but what is, exactly, the OE Gloss.?

All I could find is that it means Old English Glossary, and even that was just me guessing. I've been guessing that it's a book, and so I tried Googling as though it was. Before that, I just tried the abbreviation (as that's how it was in the OED website), and then I tried the name without any kind of abbreviation, then etc.

I'm not sure if this part is important, but basically, I have a short etymology paper to write and one of the sources of the first attestation of the word is this. The OE Gloss. And I have to write a few sentences about it, so I do have to do some research on it, though I can't find anything at all. At least, I don't think I'm finding the correct information. And to add to that, I'm not even a hundred percent sure if the OE Gloss. is the actual source. Even though I've been told by my professor that it is. Here is the extract from the OED website:

OE. Gloss. in Haupt Zeitschrift

To me, it sounds that the source is this Zeitschrift book. Or perhaps that's me just hoping it is, because I found information on Zeitschrift, and nothing on OE. Gloss.

Can anyone please help? And apologies if this isn't the right stack exchange - it's my first time posting anything on this website.

  • 2
    My understanding is that your guess is correct that it's referring to the Old English glossary in the Haupt Zeitschrift (or magazine). I presume the magazine in question to be the one discussed here in WP Mar 10, 2019 at 21:39
  • Can you give a link to the "OED website" you found the extract from?
    – Ignatius
    Mar 11, 2019 at 1:47
  • 1
    @Taegyung I don't want to post the link, as it contains my university details (and I don't know how to post the link without posting those). But you can go to www.oed.com and search for the word 'ladle', click on the noun, and the extract I posted should be there near the top.
    – Guest_Alex
    Mar 11, 2019 at 6:34
  • The whole entry looks very weird. German Zeitschrift just means "journal". Without being specific we don't know which one. Hauptzeitschrift is an actually used German compound meaning "main journal" contrasting Beilage "supplement". I think the entry is messed up beyond recognition, though @GastonÜmlaut's guess might be correct. Mar 11, 2019 at 14:55

1 Answer 1


I can confirm the source given by @Gaston Ümlaut in a comment. The Zeitschrift für deutsches Alterthum is available in digitised form and here is the relevant table of contents. Note that the original title is Angelsächsische glossen and the author is Bouterwek.

  • Specifically (if my German is not too rusty, but corrections are welcome) - these are the Anglo-Saxon / Old English glosses of Latin words in Aldhelm's De Virginitate as found in the Brussels manuscript (?).
    – Michaelyus
    Mar 11, 2019 at 17:56
  • 2
    Moriz Haupt was the editor of the "Zeitschrift für deutsches Alterthum". His surname happens to mean "head, main". There is no "main journal". The mind boggles.
    – fdb
    Mar 11, 2019 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.