I looked it up in different dictionaries but could not find anything. Thank you in advance.

  • 1
    As a question on linguistic terminology, I see no reason to close it. Apr 1 '19 at 18:09
  • I have no proof, but I always figured it was reflecting "reflection". No idea why it's "reflex" instead, probably in allusion to "(in)flexion".
    – vectory
    Apr 1 '19 at 20:37

Bonne question ! Personnally, I write "reflet" for the noun and "être reflété" (to be reflected) for the verb. This may be an anglicism, but I can't think of something else.


You can use the word "réflexe", but the word "dérivé" is much more used.


Wiktionary says it's continuateur, but I couldn't really confirm this is actually a technical term after a cursory search. The French Wiktioanry defines the linguistic sense of English reflex as "Issue, continuateur ou aboutissement d’un étymon ou d’un phonème étymologique." There might not be an established counterpart in French.

  • it seems that "continuateur" is only used by one person: Marta Andronache.
    – amegnunsen
    Apr 2 '19 at 10:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.