I learned that the word "dyadic", a word opposed to monadic, is written with a y.

My etymology sources indicates it comes from "Dyad", which means "pair", "couple", "double". However, every other word I know with a "di-" prefix meaning "two" is written with an i. (Dioxyde, dipterous, dioptre, digram, ... The "bi-" prefix is now much more prevalent but every other case of "di-" I know uses an i)

Even in ancient Greek, there's a difference between the "δι-" prefix and the word "δυάς", they don't use the same letter, although they both come from the Greek word for "two".

  • Why is there a difference in spelling between the Greek word for two and the "di-" prefix?

  • Why does "dyadic" seem to be the only word that kept the y?

Note that this seems to date from ancient Greek, so as far as I know it also happens in every language that got these words from Greek, not just English.

Note2: I should have specified it, but of course I'm talking about words where the "dy-" prefix means "two", so this is not about words like "dynamic" or "dyssentry".

  • There is also dyarchy and dyotheism, but you are right that there don't seem to be many such words.
    – Xavier
    Commented Aug 26, 2019 at 23:47
  • 1
    "as far as I know it also happens in every language that got these words from Greek" this is not true at least for Italian, Spanish and Serbian
    – fqq
    Commented Aug 27, 2019 at 9:18
  • 1
    @fqq My bad, I saw it appearing in French and English. That's why I said "as far as I know"! I assume it was corrected in order to make spelling consistent (for Spanish at least). Commented Aug 28, 2019 at 15:38

2 Answers 2


The prefix δυ- is from δύω “two” < IE *duō. The prefix δι- is from δίς “twice” < IE *dwi- (the /w/ is lost in Greek). Both are common in Greek.

By the way: “division” is from Latin, not Greek.

There are lots of English words beginning with dyo- and dy-. I suggest you flick through any English dictionary.

  • I did look up in a dictionary, but most words are either alternate spelling of more commons "di-" words (like diarchy or dioptre), or words with unrelated etymology, mostly using the "dys-" prefix. I edited my question, I should have been clearer. Also, "dyadic" seems to be the only one that can't be spelled with "di-". Commented Aug 27, 2019 at 7:59
  • 1
    @TeleportingGoat "Lots" might be an overstatement, but it shows up mostly in technical terms formed from Greek roots. The Christian belief that Christ had two wills, for example, is "dyothelism", a signal that differentiates two different states is "dyotic", a chemical reaction that switches two single bonds at the same time is "dyotropic", a hypothetical particle with both an electric and magnetic charge is a "dyon". It's worth noting that these are mostly modern formations, not ancient ones.
    – Draconis
    Commented Aug 28, 2019 at 18:45

Dyad is a commonly-used musicological term for a two note chords. Pedal steel guitars use this harmonic structure primarily.

  • 5
    While true, dyad is just the noun form of dyadic.
    – user91988
    Commented Aug 28, 2019 at 16:23
  • 2
    Like only_pro said, while this is absolutely true, the question excludes this word specifically: "My etymology sources indicates it comes from "Dyad", which means "pair", "couple", "double". However, every other word I know…" (Emphasis mine.)
    – Draconis
    Commented Aug 28, 2019 at 18:39
  • 1
    ah yes, pedal steel guitar morphology for harmonic declension
    – Carly
    Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 17:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.