I'm going to teach my students about different patterns of usage of these verbs: marry (e.g. get married, marry sb, marry to), die (e.g. die of , die from, die for), match (e.g. match (something), match somebody/something (to/with somebody/something), agree (agree with something, agree (with somebody) (about/on something), agree to something). I'm not sure what they should be called. Do anyone have suggestions?

  • 3
    They're often called subcategorisation frames in linguistics, but language teachers probably have other terminology. You should probably ask at the Language Learning instead. – curiousdannii Oct 24 '19 at 12:56
  • 2
    If you need a term that's not just random, "verb frames" is easy to remember and gives a good idea what it's about, IMHO. I think in linguistics this is not generally seen as a type of verb, rather as the ways just about any verb can be used in a sentence. I guess there are verbs maybe that can only be used in one way and that's it, but they'd likely be a minority. – LjL Oct 24 '19 at 14:54
  • 1
    See 'affordance'? – amI Oct 25 '19 at 6:30
  • Just curious, what do you think these verbs have in common to justify putting them together into one group? – Alex B. Oct 25 '19 at 14:33
  • 2
    Pretty much every verb in English has its own syntactic and lexical peculiarities; its affordances, its prohibitions, its licenses. Some take complements, of certain kinds only; others require objects or forbid them. There are some regularities, with certain rules like the Spray/Load Alternation, for instance. All the verbs in that particular verb class (one of many in Levin's English Verb Classes and Alternations) allow both He loaded the truck with beer and He loaded beer on the truck. – jlawler Oct 25 '19 at 23:23

These are called "verb frames" or "subcategorisation frames". In English, one frame has many verbs in it, and one verb may belong to many frames.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.