I am studying emerging Brazilian Portuguese consonant clusters and I'm unaware of how to properly call a group of positions such as "word-initial" or "word-final position". The aim is to use this term as an explanatory variable. I've thought about "segmental position" or "grammatical environment" but I'm still unsure about their appropriateness.

  • I guess "(consonant) phonotactics" is too broad a term for what you want? Feb 2, 2020 at 20:58

1 Answer 1


I've heard "phonological environment" for this sort of thing: it covers not just "word-initial" and "word-final" but also "between vowels", "word-final after back vowels", and so on.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.