I know the linguistic dictionaries that are used in my language, but I'm looking for a specific term and I need an English one. Any tips?


1 Answer 1


Perhaps the most widely known is David Crystal's A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics (1st ed. 1980, 6th ed. 2008, Wiley). There is also The Cambridge Dictionary of Linguistics, edited by Keith Brown and Jim Miller (2013, CUP).

For phonetics and phonology in particular, I've also found R. L. Trask's A Dictionary of Phonetics and Phonology (1996, Routledge) useful, though unfortunately the author is deceased and some of it is out of date.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.