What is the correct name for the phenomenon in phonetics/phonology when an L2 speaker of English reverse compensates/substitutes a phoneme. I'd be grateful for some references. I'm sure I read about it somewhere, but can't find the location. I'm referring to when a French speaker, for example, replaces an unvoiced -TH with an /s/ and then - subconsciously - replaces an /s/ in another syllable with a -TH (so it sounds like they have a lisp). Does anyone recognise this?

  • I've never heard/seen any other name except hypercorrection. I guess, a "phonetic hypercorrection" query in Google Scholar will give you more examples. – aGricolaMZ Apr 26 '20 at 4:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.