Is there a name or term used to describe the phenomenon when a brand name becomes so ubiquitous that it is used in place of the product or related verbs?

Some common examples include:

  • Google instead of search
  • Xerox instead of copy
  • Coke instead of cola
  • BluTack instead of sticky tack
  • Coke is neither brand name nor product, though it is one case where the brand and the product actually share a name (Coca-Cola vs The Coca-Cola Company). Commented May 11, 2020 at 18:54
  • Good branding if your company name is synonymous with the verb/noun associated with the product? Commented May 11, 2020 at 22:09
  • 4
    @JanusBahsJacquet ”Coke” certainly is a brand. It’s a trademark of The Coca-Cola Company, and used as part of many of their product names (Diet Coke, Share a Coke). trademarks.justia.com/714/68/coke-71468708.html
    – Tim
    Commented May 12, 2020 at 0:47
  • Seems like it might tickle metonymy, too. Commented Jun 29, 2020 at 19:00

3 Answers 3


These are genericized trademarks/brands.

See Wiktionary for a list and the following definition:

English terms that originate from trademarks, brands and company names which have become genericized; that is, fallen into common usage in the target market's vernacular, even when referring to other competing brands.

According to Wikipedia also known as a generic trademark or proprietary eponym.


I myself haven't seen a special term for this kind of metonymic shift but it is definitely an example of semantic broadening. cf.

Horn 1984: 35:

enter image description here

Traugott and Dasher 2001: 101

enter image description here

Sometimes this semantic change is referred to as an instance of eponymization. e.g. Popescu 2019:

enter image description here

Caveat: some semanticists use eponymization only for a semantic shift involving place names.

I haven't really seen the term "genericization" being used in linguistic research that much.


I may be a day late and a dollar short, for which you have likely discovered the term you were seeking, but I believe the one you were looking for is a metonym.

If this is too late to be helpful to you, perhaps it will find someone else who is searching in the present time.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.