I am curious about in between sounds. I mean in between as in being made in different regions of the mouth. For example, [f] is between [ɸ] and [θ]. So, I want to know what sounds are between [x] and [h].


If you look at an IPA consonant chart, the places of articulation are listed from front to back. /x/ is a velar sound, pronounced with the most relevant constriction at the velum; /h/ is (generally treated as) a glottal sound, pronounced with the most relevant constriction at the glottis.

In between velar and glottal are two categories on the IPA chart, uvular and pharyngeal. The voiceless fricatives in these categories are written /χ/ and /ħ/, and are used in languages like Tlingit and Arabic.

  • Makes sense to me. Jun 24 '20 at 18:12
  • Epiglottal fricative also has a dedicated symbol
    – b a
    Jun 24 '20 at 18:44
  • @ba Separate from the pharyngeal fricative? I thought the IPA decided that pharyngeal vs epiglottal wasn't a distinction any language made (it just varied with manner of articulation) and merged them, with small-cap H being used for a trill instead.
    – Draconis
    Jun 24 '20 at 19:44
  • It could be, but the IPA chart lists them both as "fricative"
    – b a
    Jun 24 '20 at 20:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.