I am working on Sanskrit, a fusional language. I am confused about what should be the collective noun that I should be used to address the set {nominals, verb, adverb, indeclinable, participle}. Could they be called as word class, inflectional class or morphological class or is it something completely different?

If there are multiple accepted nouns for the collection, which one would be more specific to a fusional language?

Here, I am not making a distinction between a noun and adjective because in Sanskrit, both nouns and adjectives have the same inflectional information, i.e. case, gender, and number. Summarily, a nominal is a collection of words whose affixal markers indicate case, gender, number.

So in a fusional language, if I group all the valid morphological tags based on the grammatical categories present in them, what should it be collectively called?

  • Usually the term part of speech is used: “a part of speech is a category of words (or, more generally, of lexical items) that have similar grammatical properties.” – Yellow Sky Aug 16 '20 at 11:58
  • Does lexical category fit as a proper term? – Amrith Krishna Aug 16 '20 at 15:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.