What is the term to for the nouns which are formed from verbs or stems, whether as expressing action (revolution; commendation), or a state (contrition; starvation), or associated meanings (relation; temptation)?

  • deverbal is a common term for nouns/adjectives/adverbs derived from verbs and would include infinitives – Tristan Sep 3 '20 at 9:49
  • Looking at your examples, deverbal nominalization is probably the term you're looking for. But these would be used as nouns; if you indeed mean "used as a verb infinitive" rather than "derived from a verb", you'd have to specify further what you mean. – lemontree Sep 3 '20 at 11:41
  • @Tristan, that is not exactly what I''m looking for. I mean specifically, the deverbals which can be used instead of infinitives. same semantic. – PHPst Sep 6 '20 at 1:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.