Say I have the sentence:

The cat sat on the mat

What's the name of the formulation:

The-DET. cat-NOUN. sat-VERB. on-PREP. the-DET. mat-NOUN

Or this example from Wikipedia

Kin á-ø-sh-łééh


'I build a house.'

  • 1
    Nowadays that would be called tagging; you use a tagger to produce lines like that. Sort of like that. Before nowadays, it'd've been called parsing, whereas what we nowadays call parsing would've been called construing. Got all that? The difference is whether it just marks part of speech, like your example, or whether it notices that the cat is a noun phrase and that sat on the mat is a verb phrase and that one is the subject of the other and that they form a sentence.
    – jlawler
    Oct 9, 2020 at 2:15
  • 1
    Your examples are very different (syntactic functions vs morphological analysis). The first one: see jlawler’s comment above. The second one is known as glossing.
    – Alex B.
    Oct 9, 2020 at 12:55
  • 2
    I see. you may want to take a look at eva.mpg.de/lingua/resources/glossing-rules.php
    – Alex B.
    Oct 9, 2020 at 13:25
  • 2
    You should not change the example in a question after comments have been made.
    – BillJ
    Oct 9, 2020 at 17:13
  • 1
    No, just undo the changes you made. Comments may be temporary, and answers can be deleted too. Please respect the time we freely give to help questioners.
    – BillJ
    Oct 9, 2020 at 17:35

1 Answer 1


These are two different formulations.

The first is known as Parts-of-speech Tagging, or if done manually parsing.

The second is known as 'Glossing', or specifically interlinear glossing, witha list of abbreviations and rules.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.