Is there a name for the following type of pleonasm:

  • "It is John who runs." (instead of: "John runs.")

  • "It was congress that legislated." (instead of: "Congress legislated.")



Grammars such as The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (Huddleston & Pullum 2002) refer to such sentences as it-clefts.

Note that John runs does not have the same meaning as It is John who runs, and that the two examples may not even have the same truth values in the same contexts. The second is not a pleonasm.

  • How don't they have the same meaning?
    – Geremia
    Nov 16 '20 at 20:44
  • 2
    @Geremia A: “We know one of the girls runs” B: “It’s John who runs” versus A: “We know one of the girls runs” B: “John runs”. In the second scenario A’s sentence might still be correct. In the first B is saying that A is mistaken. (Assuming that John in both cases is male) Nov 16 '20 at 21:08

No, I won't call it a passive voice. I'd describe it as a figure of speech, namely some kind of pleonasm using more words than strictly necessary to transport the information.

  • Yes, it's a sort of pleonasm, but is there a word for this specific sort of pleonasm?
    – Geremia
    Nov 12 '20 at 17:07
  • I am not aware of such a specialised term, but this does not preclude its existence. Nov 12 '20 at 17:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.