While reading the Wikipedia page on voiced bilabial trill, I came across a transcription in the occurrence section which looks like:


The word is from Lizu language and means 'bean'. What is bothering me is the last V-shaped letter that I can't find. It seems to be two characters, but when I search them, Google gives nothing helpful. How is this supposed to be pronounced? What sound(s) is this?


1 Answer 1


It's not a sound, but a contour tone letter applying to the whole word (or syllable). This case specifically is a high falling tone, like the fourth tone in Mandarin.

The Pumi example from the same table has another example: [pʙ̩˥], a word with a high register tone.

  • Oh... I was really confused because I searched different IPA charts and guides but couldn't find a trace of it. Thank you so much!
    – user30668
    Jun 18, 2021 at 15:33
  • 6
    On the official IPA chart, they can be found in the lower right-hand corner in a small section called "Tones and Word Accents", labeled as "extra high" and "extra low".
    – chepner
    Jun 18, 2021 at 23:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.