While reading the Wikipedia page on voiced bilabial trill, I came across a transcription in the occurrence section which looks like:


The word is from Lizu language and means 'bean'. What is bothering me is the last V-shaped letter that I can't find. It seems to be two characters, but when I search them, Google gives nothing helpful. How is this supposed to be pronounced? What sound(s) is this?


It's not a sound, but a contour tone letter applying to the whole word (or syllable). This case specifically is a high falling tone, like the fourth tone in Mandarin.

The Pumi example from the same table has another example: [pʙ̩˥], a word with a high register tone.

  • Oh... I was really confused because I searched different IPA charts and guides but couldn't find a trace of it. Thank you so much!
    – Sphinx
    Jun 18 at 15:33
  • 6
    On the official IPA chart, they can be found in the lower right-hand corner in a small section called "Tones and Word Accents", labeled as "extra high" and "extra low".
    – chepner
    Jun 18 at 23:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.