I am currently working on an M.Phil thesis which is focusing on topic modelling 19th century journals. The journals in question are science, literature and antiquities based. I have extracted the text using OCR. I need to build a dictionary of terms with which I can spell check my corpus. To do this, I need to find a clean scientific corpus or word list that I can build the dictionary from. edit - English language corpus required (sorry for any ambiguity)

I have looked at Archer but it's got a lot of OCR errors / non-textual content in the word list. I have also looked at The Art Corpus, but it is too modern.

Any ideas welcome.

  • 2
    It would help to say which language/s. Aug 13, 2013 at 2:45
  • English language only.
    – Emma C
    Aug 13, 2013 at 6:38
  • Did you find what you were looking for?
    – muskrat
    Sep 2, 2015 at 4:35

1 Answer 1


Mark Davies offers a word list based on the Historical Corpus of North American English. The list indicates frequencies for each decade from 1800 to 1990, so you can choose the periods you need. Scientific texts are included in the corpus, but I don't know whether you can get a word list based on specific genres.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.