What is the technical term for glosses on a text that disagree with the text?

For example, in Hebrew we tend to use the term השגות to describe Raabad's "objections" to Alfasi's and Maimonides' opera, but is there a more elegant term that describes this concept? How would you say this in linguistic terms?

  • 2
    I don't think that there is a linguistic term for this. But historians often deal with manuscript pages that have different text layers by different authors, maybe they have some specific terminology for that. Dec 12, 2021 at 16:34
  • @jk-ReinstateMonica I'm pretty sure there is a technical term for this because I've come across it before. I just can't remember what it is. Dec 14, 2021 at 11:44
  • 1
    There may be a technical term, it may just not be in use in linguistics but in history, theology, or another discipline like that. Dec 14, 2021 at 14:07

1 Answer 1


Occasionally glossing, glossing mistake, glossing error. There no special technical term for this. But there are citates, that describe this phenomenon as 'occasionally glossing'. Other two are translation of the Hebrew term.

Next is strictly outside:

Firstly, my thoughts were about this phenomenon:


Upd: @jogloran There no connection, except my first understanding the 'glosses' as just 'words'. Not as annotation. Purple prose is situation where a part of words disagree with the text.

Upd2:@jogloran Yes, you are right if we speak about the purple prose. But if be honest I remembered not the purple prose (for me it was just a naming of the wiki-article) but purple passages: parts of a text, that disagree with the text in it's manner, stylistics. The situation where the plain texs consist extravagant parts. Maybe I still misunderstand it, but..

  • 3
    How is purple prose relevant to this discussion? Maybe I'm missing something.
    – jogloran
    Dec 12, 2021 at 8:04
  • 1
    Sorry, but aside from being irrelevant, you’ve also managed to misunderstand what “purple prose” means.
    – jogloran
    Dec 13, 2021 at 3:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.