• "I want a job with a social connect" , using a verb connect for the noun connection.

  • "It's a fail!" , using the verb fail instead of the noun failure.

  • "Acme is a multinational corporate" , using the adjective corporate instead of "Corporate entity"

  • "Increase in rep on SE due to an accept". Using verb accept instead of noun acceptance.
  • "SE is upgrading its compute"

Has such a usage been noted , what do we call it? any examples of more such usage welcome.

  • 3
    Relevant terms are conversion, null morpheme, and zero derivation. – hippietrail Sep 27 '13 at 13:18
  • 1
    I thought it was called nouning. – Cerberus Sep 27 '13 at 13:42
  • 2
    That's another zero-derivation. And English is full of them; we're losing productive derivational morphology pretty fast. – jlawler Sep 27 '13 at 16:44
  • 2
    Nouning and verbing are newer colloquial nontechnical terms (-: – hippietrail Sep 28 '13 at 4:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.