I came across the following letter in some documents I'm going through:

enter image description here

But I can't seem to find this letter in any IPA tables, nor can I find anyway to type this.

How can I find/type this letter?

What's it called?


The vertical short line marks a syllabic consonant -- when the nucleus of a syllable is a consonant. The interjection hmm in English might be transcribed [m̥m̩].

As the Wikipedia article notes, it's represented in Unicode with combining characters U+0329  ̩ combining vertical line below or U+030D  ̍ combining vertical line above, depending on whether the IPA symbol it's attached to has a descender or ascender.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.