New answers tagged

0 votes

We typically say rates are 'hiked' and cuts are 'swingeing' - is there a term to describe this?

It seems to me that the phenomenon described here is probably collocation. Collocation is the co-occurence of multiple words/lexemes more frequently than would be expected by random chance, but not ...
user avatar
  • 222
4 votes

Term referring to the idea that words are contrastive

This is almost certainly structuralism, as first proposed by Saussure, and expanded upon, especially as it relates to other fields, by a number of philosophers and other theorists (e.g. Lévi-Strauss, ...
user avatar
  • 222
7 votes

What is the name of the category for the vibrations that the tongue does in linguistics?

The name of the category is trill. The R sound in the linked demonstrations of Latin is not a "guttural" sound but an alveolar trill, [r], where the tip of the tongue vibrates against the ...
user avatar
  • 4,752
2 votes

What's the opposite of semantic parsing?

(Natural) Language Generation. Although not an opposite of specifically semantic parsing, because a good NLG needs more than just expressing the semantic...
user avatar

Top 50 recent answers are included